Tuesday 27 November 2012

chocolate cake


If you're familiar with blackout cakes, I bet you would think that this blackout cake has something missing, which is the signature outer covering of chocolate cake crumbs. So just how my cake became "naked"? Well... because I did something stupid- miscalculating the amount of flour. Instead of 1 1/2 cups, I only used 1 cup. Without adequate structure, the cake couldn't rise as much and was very short. There was no way I could divide the squat cake into 4 layers so I sliced it into 3. That meant that I had no extra cake for the decoration.


Chocolate Blackout Cake
makes an 8 inch cake
adapted from America's Test Kitchen

For the pudding, I reduced the sugar to 1 cup and replaced the half-and-half with whole milk. It is still plenty rich.

For the chocolate pudding:
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 tsp vanilla extract

For the cake:
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 cup coffee
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract



the recipe made by Amanda from crumbsandcookies.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment